Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Camelidynamics Basic Clinic August 2009 in VT

As a Camelidynamics Practitioner, I get the unique experience of helping Marty teach at clinics. This past weekend I was at a Basic 2 day clinic in VT at Marlee Alpacas. One of the students (who happens to be a friend of mine) was there at her first clinic and she posted a wonderful summation of the work that Marty has developed on FB. The post that follows is from her (Denise Richards). I believe she has captured the essence of what animals feel when we act what they perceive to be "unsafe". It is really good for people to see how animals don't misbehave, they just react to us in fear and once we see how to not make them afraid - they trust and we are able to do what we need to!!!

*****

I had an amazing experience at the Marty McGee Bennett clinic. The best part had to be just to be there, around people who love and respect these beautiful, peaceful animals as much as I do. The setting was stunningly beautiful. I am so thankful to the generous kind hosts who opened their home and worked so hard, so that others could have this experience.

I have a long history with training animals and Marty's work is not new to me. I got her book along with my first llama, and have been working with my own llamas for 4 years. Even so, this weekend was full of reminders for me. Mostly, I was reminded to change the speed of life, slow down, and to pay attention to the things that really matter. Next time I am working with my llamas though, whether it is to give shots, trim toes, go through the obstacle course, or simply enjoy a hike together, I hope I'll keep following thoughts in mind.

Reminders from camelids we love...

Breathe: Remember to breathe... when I feel you breathing, it helps me be less afraid.

Respect: Respecting me, means being respectful from MY perspective, not necessarily yours.

Care: Little things do matter so much. A simple adjustment of my halter, if one takes the time to listen, can mean so much to me, help me feel comfortable, to breathe and to eat and drink as I should.

Understand: Please try to understand me. Am I doing something out of fear? Can you back off a little and return to what I know is safe? I'm simply trying to understand what you want from me, and trying to keep myself safe.

Friends: Don't restrain me just to do routine things to me. If you use less restraint and keep my friends close, it will help us get through this much better.

Think: We all have bad days. If something is not working, think about how to change it for next time.

Trust: If you want me to trust you, be trustworthy. Don't frighten me or hurt me, then expect my trust.

Peace: I am a peaceful creature. Quiet yourself and we can enjoy that peaceful connection together.I had an amazing experience at the Marty McGee Bennett clinic.

The best part had to be just to be there, around people who love and respect these beautiful, peaceful animals as much as I do. The setting was stunningly beautiful. I am so thankful to the generous kind hosts who opened their home and worked so hard, so that others could have this experience.

****

No comments: